Saturday

The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille

On the cover, it said "Captivating...Addictive...Irresistable!"

Ehh. Not quite. But not bad either.

A departure from the usual type of book I read. Not sure how to classify this one... drama? Comedy? There were amusing moments, and some that should've been dramatic. Maybe it was meant to be both.

I did think about the story at times when I wasn't able to continue reading (I only read on breaks when at work), so that says something. And there were a few times I wished I could've continued reading (you'd think that would be the same thing, but it isn't). Some details stayed with me. And at times, I wondered what would happen next.

This is a peek into the lives of the rich that's told from the main character's P.O.V., and he seems to have little feeling about the details. And considering what the details were, and that they were about his life, I kind of expected.... more. Lot's of history given in a conversational manner and that's pretty much how the entire story is told. As if it were a casual chat with a friend. It's an easy-going style of writing that keeps even the historical details (if you're not particulary interested in those) interesting enough to keep reading.

I liked this enough to read another book by Nelson DeMille (haven't decided which one yet). I guess that's good enough. There have been a few books that I couldn't read more than a few pages of. Just couldn't get into them. And these were books that were made into good movies and I really wanted the more detailed verison, the one you can only get from the book. It feels like I missed out on something. But some books are just hard to read.

This one wasn't. It doesn't grab you right away, but it does whisper it's seductive voice in the back of your mind, and keeps you listening right until the end.

1 Comments:

Blogger trouble said...

I would recommend Plum Island or The Charm School. Both are better books than Gold Coast which in my opinion is not one of his best. Of the two I mentioned I would say Charm School is the better overall story. While Plum Island is the first of several featuring the same main character. First time visitor. I enjoyed your site.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home