Sunday

The Stepford Wives

The Stepford WivesBoy. This was really weird. A remake, of course. I've never seen the original. Maybe it's worth checking out, if for no other reason, than to see if the acting (and version of this story) was better. The performances in this movie were very stiff (sure, I know, at times it should be this way, considering the storyline, but I mean everyone was a bit stiff), and strange.

It could've been really funny but unfortunately, it kind of misses the mark, and often, with lots of long pauses that I assume, are meant for laughter, but eh, those moments weren't so funny to me. Could've also been a little more scary. I found myself wondering why they explained some things and left other things just out there (apparently, I missed something). The whole movie is a bit disappointing considering the cast, though I did like Bette Midler and Christopher Walken in this.

I can't recall seeing many commercials promoting this movie. Those available online didn't quite capture what the movie was about (tended to be misleading, which I guess isn't new). I guess this is ok to see because the idea of it is kind of unreal, and unrealistic, except for those living in the stone ages. There's also a nice twist at the end, and a few good laughs. Providing you can make it that far. I did, twice. And just for kicks I read the book in the hopes that it would fill in some of those blanks. It's just a shame that it didn't.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this movie, but I thought the original was better. The original movie was a bit subversive for the 70's in suggesting that men secretly prefer submissive housewives to career women. In the early 21st century, maybe I'm naive, but I feel like we live in a different world. It could've been a better movie if that had chosen to update it in that respect.

-Justine
www.justinesmind.blogspot.com

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home