Wednesday

On Writing, By Stephen King

On Writing, By Stephen KingThis is an excellent book. I don't usually read non-fiction. I try to stick with books that might take me out of my own world (or reality) for a while. But reading this actually did take me away.

While the mechanics of writing aren't the most interesting of texts to read, Mr. King manages to make it a pleasant experience. Keeps it brief and to the point. Starting off with his background, which I found most interesting, and somewhere in the center, including some writing pointers, which all made perfect sense. He ended with more personal details, centering mainly around his accident. There's also a book list which is interesting. (Books he read around the time this was published, 2001-2002, not every book he's ever read. That said, it's still, quite a list)

This master story-teller kept my attention throughout without overdoing the details. In fact, there were many times I wished he had included more. He made a promise in the beginning to keep it brief. He did.

It's very touching to read how his wife was a big part of his success. His Ideal Reader, his support, and the first person he wants to read whatever he writes. I'm guessing this isn't a big surprise but it's really sweet to read about it. (at least, I thought it was)

Great "extra" (or filler between novels) for all you King fans out there.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was pretty interesting. The only thing I found weird was... why in the world is Stephen King still using such an outdated machine to write?

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I haven't read it, but I thoroughly enjoyed Danse Macrabre.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I'm definately going to check into this book, I love Stephen King and can't believe I've never heard of it.

Great blog!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Glenn said...

My cousin gave me this book, and it actually got me started writing. I never really knew anything about Steven King before this, other than the few movies I'd seen of his.

It's interesting to note however, that he stopped accepting entries for that writing challenge of his some years ago. I didn't realize that when I wrote and tried to submit one.

At any rate, great book and nice review.

Thanks,
eewestcoaster
http://logicaficianado.blogspot.com/

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home